Tuesday, October 7, 2014

NATO prepared to protect Turkey from Isil attack

natoKobane -Defence Minister Ismet Yildiz said NATO did the planning at Turkey's request as a fierce battle with Isil to take Kobane on the country's border with Syria continued.

He said: "If there is an attack, NATO's joint defence mechanism will be activated."

Yesterday two Isil banners could be seen raised over a Kobane building and a nearby hill, suggesting the militants may have broken through the Kurdish perimeter.

An official from the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR), Idriss Nassan, said Isil was now in control of Mistenur, a strategic hill above the town.

Kobane has seen intense fighting over the past three days as Syrian Kurds try to defend the town.

Some 20 jihadis were reported to have being killed after entering the town for the first time yesterday.

Isil militants were trying to storm Kobane on the border with Turkey from both east and west of a strategic hill to the south, but Kurdish fighters repulsed the attack, SOHR said.

It said at least 20 jihadis were killed late Sunday after entering an eastern neighbourhood and being ambushed by People's Protection Units (YPG) fighters.

"The jihadis died in an ambush by the YPG after they entered Street 48 in the east of Kobane overnight," Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.

Isil militants have been besieging it for nearly three weeks. Since then, more than 160,000 Syrians, mainly Kurds, have fled across the border.

The town is strategically vital, as capturing it would give Isil unbroken control of a long stretch of the Syrian-Turkish border.

The BBC's Paul Adams, near the border, said the sound of gunfire overnight was intense and was still going on, with large plumes of smoke over Kobane.

The Isil offensive has forced tens of thousands to flee over the border into Turkey He said the situation appeared critical for the defenders of the town.

Mr Nassan told the BBC there were still thousands of civilians in Kobane. He said Isil was now in control of Mistenur and that, in theory, gave the attackers a huge strategic advantage. But Mr Nassan said IS was not yet firing down into the town from the hill.

He said there was shelling in all parts of Kobane, adding: "Yes, it will certainly fall soon."

Mr Nassan could not say how long this would take, but added: "I'm not going to give up my home and my country easily."

Esmat al-Sheikh, head of the Kobane Defence Authority, said: "If they enter, it will be a graveyard for us and for them. We either win or die. We will resist to the end."

 

On Sunday a Kurdish woman in Kobane killed a number of Isil fighters in a suicide bomb attack, Kurdish sources said.

Turkish Kurds and refugees have clashed with Turkish security forces on the border for the past two days.

They are angry and disappointed at Turkey's perceived inaction over Isil in recent months, as well as its refusal to allow them to cross into Syria to fight.

Last week, Turkey pledged to prevent Kobane from falling to the militants and its parliament authorised military operations against militants in Iraq and Syria.

But it appears to have taken no action so far to prevent the fighting. On the Turkish side of the border, at least 14 Turkish army tanks took up defensive positions on a hilltop near Kobane. Heavy bombardment could be heard down below as plumes of smoke rose from the town.

A shell from the fighting struck a house and a small grocery store across the border in Turkey, but no one was hurt. At least four people were injured in a similar incident on Sunday.

Syrian Kurdish forces have long been among the most effective adversaries of the Islamic State group, keeping it out of their enclave in north-eastern Syria even as the extremists routed the armed forces of both Syria and neighbouring Iraq in recent months.

But in recent weeks the overstretched Kurds have struggled to counter the increasingly well-armed militants.

"They are using tanks, artillery and all kinds of weapons they captured in Iraq and Syria," said Nasser Haj Mansour, a defence official in Syria's Kurdish region, referring to the Islamic State group, which has declared a caliphate in the huge swath of territory it controls in both countries.

Observatory director Rami Abdurrahman said that one of the attacks against Isil a day earlier was carried out by a female Kurdish fighter who blew herself up, killing 10 militants.

The YPG statement identified the suicide attacker as Deilar Kanj Khamis, better known by her military name, Arin Mirkan.

Khamis was a member of a YPG branch known as the Women's Protection Units, or YPJ. The force has more than 10,000 female fighters who have played a major role in the battles against the Islamic State group, Haj Mansour said.

Haj Mansour said Kurdish fighters withdrew from a position on the strategic hill near Kobane.

Irish Independent